top of page

Member Alert: Emergency Haying and Grazing

The Kansas Farm Service Agency (FSA), announced that emergency haying and grazing of Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acreage has been approved for 44 counties in Kansas effective Wednesday, July 16.

Counties include: Barber, Barton, Cheyenne, Clark, Comanche, Cowley, Edwards, Ellsworth, Finney, Ford, Gove, Gray, Greeley, Hamilton, Harper, Haskell, Hodgeman, Kearny, Kingman, Kiowa, Lane, Logan, McPherson, Meade, Morton, Ness, Pawnee, Pratt, Rawlins, Reno, Rice, Rush, Russell, Scott, Sedgwick, Seward, Sherman, Stafford, Stanton, Stevens, Sumner, Thomas, Wallace and Wichita.

Emergency haying in approved counties is allowed through August 15, 2014. Participants must leave at least 50 percent of each field or contiguous CRP field un-hayed for wildlife. Hay must be removed from the field within 30 days from the end of the haying period. Hay cannot be sold. Producers without livestock may rent or lease the haying privileges.

Emergency grazing in approved counties is allowed through September 30, 2014. The grazing timeframe begins when the individual request is approved. All livestock must be removed at the end of the grazing period or when the minimum average height reaches 5 inches. Producers without livestock may rent or lease the grazing privileges.

Emergency haying and grazing is not allowed on the same acreage, and any other approved CRP haying or grazing practice is not allowed on the same acreage. Practices eligible are: CP-1, Establishment of Permanent Introduced Grasses & Legumes; CP-2, Establishment of Permanent Native Grasses; CP4B, Permanent Wildlife Habitat (Corridors), Noneasement; CP4D, Permanent Wildlife Habitat Noneasement; CP10, Vegetative Cover-Grass Already Established; CP18B, Establishment of Permanent Vegetative Cover (Contour Grass Strips), Noneasement, CP18C; Establishment of Permanent Salt Tolerant Vegetative Cover, Non-easement; CP38E, SAFE.

CRP participants in approved counties shall contact the local FSA county office to request emergency haying or grazing on an individual contract basis prior to haying or grazing. Participants will work with the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to develop a forage management plan. If the CRP cover is destroyed, the practice must be re-established at their own expense to remain in compliance with the CRP contract. CRP haying and grazing policies are available on-line at

Courtesy of: Kansas FSA Office

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
bottom of page